One the interesting/exciting/challenging things about making woodwinds is drilling the lengthwise bore. In this design, this involves drilling a 6mm hole down the length of a 500mm piece of wood, and staying reasonably central.
This drilling really has to be done on a lathe, and to do this, the lathe needs to have a hollow centre to hold the end of the wood, leaving the centre free where the drill enters it. My lathe, being somewhat hand-built (to be described in a later post), did not have a hollow centre. So I made one for it.
I moved all the centres together as shown in this picture. On the left is the driven centre, and on the right is the hollow centre, and you can just see the point of the fixed centre showing through.
The hollow centre has already been adjusted, by eye, and this was a final check.
The fixed centre is in the foreground, pointing through the hollow centre to the tip of the driven centre in the background.
This picture shows boring fairly well advanced, and evidenced by the drill shaft extension passing into the hollow centre at the right.